Summer has come early this year! With summer vacations around the corner, parents have to choose which destination to frolic this year! Among the most important essentials to pack is the sunscreen lotion! Every parent’s dilemma is which sunscreen to use!
Parents aware of the chemicals loaded in sunscreen lotions have yet another dilemma! Whether to use or not? And if using, how to make a homemade sunscreen lotion! And if buying one, which is the safest and natural sunscreen lotion for kids!?
Playing in the sun, is essential as it helps the body to formulate Vitamin D.
Vitamin D is very essential for a kids bone and muscle growth, boosting immunity and hormone development. Why do you think, our mommies used to drench us in oil, during “maalish” and make us lie in the sun as babies?
Reasonable amount of sun exposure is absolutely essential for everyone – babies and kids included. While sun exposure is welcome, sunburns are not! So, you’re planning a day on the beach or out in the park, then you absolutely need to protect your skin from sunburns.
Why a sunscreen is required for kids
Babies and kids skin is softer and more sensitive than adults; in fact babies’ skin is 20% softer than adults. This makes their skin more prone to sunburn than adults. Dermatologists worldwide recommend that all wear sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 or higher.
Please note: Don’t use any sunscreen on your baby if he/she is less than 6 months old. Make your baby wear full sleeves shirts and pants, along with a hat.
How to choose a safe and natural Sunscreen for kids
If you are not confident of making and using a homemade sunscreen, don’t fret. Making a good choice when you go shopping for one is the second best option! Most MNCs brands no longer have my trust and of most parents who are slowly looking closely at the ingredients list – and not liking what they see.
- UVA and UVB rays for your kids.
- SPF should be a minimum of 15 and can be up to 30 SPF. While there are sunscreens that have 50 SPF protections as well – it really does not give much additional protection.
- Sunscreens containing “Zinc Oxide” are more effective. They are considered safer for children and are broad spectrum as well.
- Always choose a broad spectrum sunscreen. This will provide skin protection from both
- A mineral sunscreen is the safest option for kids.
Tips on how to use sunscreen correctly
Personally covering up using full sleeves and hats is the safest option in my book. If you absolutely have to use sunscreen, do keep these tips in mind.
- Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before you are planning to step out.
- First apply the body lotion you use and then apply sunscreen.
- Cover your exposed face and hands and legs with sunscreen.
- Sunscreen needs to be reapplied every 2 hours.
Some of good mineral based sunscreen brands listed as safe by EWG. I have just bought the first one from Amazon for my personal use. Most of the ingredients are organic and natural. I will keep updating this list, as and when I try out a product.
Which sunscreens or sunblock do you use? Which brand of sunscreen do you use and consider safe for your kids? What are your major concerns this summer regarding your kids skin?