Irregular bowel movements and constipation in babies is a common problem. The constipation causes babies and kids to experience discomfort and pain.
For the first 6 months, if the baby is exclusively breastfed, it is common for the baby to not poop every day. But, when your start solid foods then it is important to ensure a healthy balance of gut bacteria and regular bowel movements.
Some babies may experience loose motions after having solid foods while others may be constipated. It becomes very difficult for the parents to see their kids in pain and pediatricians do provide some medications which will provide quick relief from constipation and regulate the bowel movements. However, I prefer home remedies first since it does not have any side effects on kids.
- 1 Constipation In Exclusively Breastfed Babies
- 2 Why Do Babies Get Constipated?
- 3 Foods that cause constipation in babies
- 4 How to know if baby is constipated?
- 5 Gharelu Nuskhe or Home Remedies To relieve constipation in babies
- 5.1 #1. Prune Juice
- 5.2 #2. Brown Sugar
- 5.3 #3. Dates with Milk
- 5.4 #4. Soaked Raisins
- 5.5 #5. Honey
- 5.6 #6. Organic Coconut Oil
- 5.7 #7. Tomato
- 5.8 #8. Fennel Seeds
- 5.9 #9. Apple Juice
- 5.10 #10. Orange juice
- 5.11 #11. Pear Juice
- 5.12 #12. Papaya
- 5.13 #13. Ginger and Honey Solution
- 5.14 #14. Psyllium Husk
- 5.15 #15. Fiber-Rich Foods
- 5.16 #16. More fluid Intake
- 5.17 #17. Stomach Massage
- 5.18 #18. Exercise
- 5.19 #19. Warm Bath
- 5.20 #20. Lubrication to Anus
- 5.21 #21. Change The Formula
- 6 Things to do’s when baby is constipated
- 7 Things to avoid when baby is constipated
Constipation In Exclusively Breastfed Babies
If your little one is younger than 6 months of age and is being exclusively breastfed, then it is common for the baby to not have a bowel movement every day. Whereas formula-fed babies usually have 3-5 bowel movements in a day.
It is also considered normal if a breastfed baby goes up to 1 week without any bowel movement. The baby is not considered as constipated if he/she is exclusively breastfed for the first six months. Constipation usually occurs in babies and toddlers when they start solid foods.
Below are some reasons because of which your baby can be constipated while exclusively breastfeeding.
1. When baby doesn’t have sufficient milk.
2. Not getting sufficient water via breast milk.
3. Climatic conditions.
It is must for the breastfed mother to keep herself well hydrated. Additionally, you also must breastfeed your baby frequently to keep the baby hydrated.
Why Do Babies Get Constipated?
There are many reasons because of your 6 months plus baby is feeling constipated:
- If there is a change in the eating habit or a change in the kind of milk you were feeding your child can experience constipation.
- If you have recently started solid foods to your child’s health, it may cause constipation as it takes time for the digestive system to regulate itself.
- If your child is not drinking enough fluids water.
- In case of cold, cough, teething babies can get quickly dehydrated and it can also cause constipation.
- Baby under medication. Intake of some medications like antibiotics, can lead to constipation.
- If you are not including high fiber food in your child’s diet.
Foods that cause constipation in babies
Some foods are known for causing constipation in babies. If your baby is experiencing constipation try to avoid these foods for a while.
6. Cow milk and other milk products like cheese
9 Fatty food items
How to know if baby is constipated?
- If the child in uncomfortable during passing stool.
- If the child is complaining of tummy ache constantly especially while passing stool.
- If you see traces of blood in the stool.
- Hard or pellet like stool
- If the child is over straining while passing stool.
- If the baby wants to pass stool but avoiding it or not able to do it.
- If you feel your child’s tummy harden.
- If the child is vomiting instead of passing stool.
Gharelu Nuskhe or Home Remedies To relieve constipation in babies
Here are some best and proven Indian home remedies to cure constipation in babies and toddlers.
#1. Prune Juice
Prune is the best solution to treat constipation, it consists of natural laxative which is very helpful in promoting bowel movements. Prune juice takes very less time to work, if you find your baby to be mildly constipated, it can take 4-5 hours to work. If your baby has gone several days without passing stool, it may not work.
Prune Juice Recipe for reliving constipation
1 tablespoon Prune Juice
1/4 cup Water
How to make
In 1/4 cup of filtered water add 1 tablespoon of prune juice and mix well. Make your baby drink this juice by offering in a bottle or sipper cup.
1. If your baby is more than 6 months then you can give 2 tablespoons of prune juice in each bottle feed.
2. You can offer 4-6 ounce of prune juice for babies above 1 year.
#2. Brown Sugar
Brown sugar works as a good laxative and can be used for babies above 1 years of age.
Brown Sugar Solution Recipe
1. ½ teaspoon Brown Sugar
2. 1 ounces warm water
How to make
1. Take a glass and mix brown sugar and water well.
2. Offer this solution to your baby twice a day, it is advisable to use palm sugar to prepare the solution.
Suitable for babies above 1 year. Salt and sugar are not recommended for babies below 12 months
#3. Dates with Milk
Dates are high in fibers and tastes good. It is a great way to give needed nutrition to the child as well as cure constipation.
Dates with Milk Recipe
2 dates deseeded
1 glass milk
How to make
1. Boil milk and dates together in low flame for 2-3 minutes.
2. Allow the milk to cool and offer it to your child before bed.
3. This is a healthy solution to prevent constipation, it can be given once or twice in a week.
Above 1 year, cows milk is not recommended for babies below 12 months.
#4. Soaked Raisins
Raisins are loaded with calcium, iron, potassium, and magnesium and is helpful in treating constipation issues.
Raisins Milk Recipes
1. 5-8 raisin
2. 1 glass warm milk
1. Soak the raisins overnight in water.
2. Boil 1 glass of milk and soaked raisin.
3. Give the milk to your child in the empty stomach.
4.You can also offer the mixture before bedtime by preparing the mixture in evening.
1.It is recommended for the child above 1 year.
2. If the child is below 1 year, you can give 5-6 soaking rains to chew.
Honey is recommended only for babies above 1 year. Honey is the best solution for both loose motions as well as in constipation.
Mix 1 teaspoon honey with lukewarm water and offer before bedtime every day. You can repeat it for few days. It will promote bowel movement without any discomfort.
Recommended for babies above 1 year of age, once before bedtime.
#6. Organic Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil contains natural laxative which promotes natural bowel movement. You can include 1-2 ml of Organic Coconut Oil in child’s diet to regular bowel movement and loosen the stool. You can also apply little coconut oil to baby’s anus for quick relied.
1. Recommended for the baby after 6 months of age.
2. For babies below 6 months, you can apply a small amount of coconut oil to baby’s anus.
Tomato, surprisingly is also helps to regulate bowel movements.
Tomato Juice Recipe
1 Small size ripe tomato
1 cup water
1. Roughly chop tomatoes and boil it in 1 cup of water, until the tomatoes are cooked completely.
2. Extract the juice and discard the seeds.
3. Give 4-5 spoons of tomato juice to the baby in a day.
Recommended for babies above 6 months.
#8. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are a well known home remedies for reliving constipation in babies.
Fennel Seeds Recipe
1. 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2. 1 cup water
1. Boil fennel seeds in a cup of water for 3-4 minutes
2. Allow it to cool and give it to the baby 3-4 times in a day.
1. Can be given to babies above 6 months.
2. Breastfed mothers can have fennel tea twice a day.
3. Make a routine to have 1-2 glass of water after getting up in the morning, it is very helpful in passing stool.
#9. Apple Juice
If your baby is constipated, instead of applesauce give apple juice or whole apple. Pectine is a natural fiber commonly found in apple, figs, grapefruits. It works as a natural laxative to help the stool to move easily through the digestive track.
A small amount of apple juice can trigger bowel movements. Avoid overfeeding the apple juice, it can worsen the problem. You can include 3-4 ounces of apple juice in everyday toddler’s diet. Homemade apple juice is the best choice.
1. 100 mls for babies older than 6 months.
#10. Orange juice
If your baby is 6 months old, you can dilute and give fresh fruit juices. You need to add 2 parts of water with 2 parts of fresh juice. Orange juice is a perfect choice to regulate good bowel movements.
100 mls for babies older than 6 months.
#11. Pear Juice
Pear Juice is rich in a fiber, this is an effective treatment for constipation in kids. You can simply grate and extract pear juice and give in diluted form to your child.
Recommended after 6 months.
Papaya works as natural laxatives and regulates bowel movements. Additionally, it also improves the digestive process and prevents constipation. You can simply feed it by cutting into finger size pieces.
Recommended after 6 months.
#13. Ginger and Honey Solution
Ginger Honey Solution Recipe
Ginger is a helpful home remedy to cure digestive issues.
1/2 cup water
1/2 inch ginger
1 teaspoon honey
1. Take 1/2 cup of water and add 1/2 inch grated ginger.
2.Allow it to boil for 2-3 minutes. Once cool sdd 1 teaspoon of honey and mix well.
3.Offer it to your child 1-2 times in a day.
1. This remedy works great for 1 year older child.
#14. Psyllium Husk
Psyllium Husk is rich in both soluble and insoluble fiber. It increases the water amount in the stool and helps in easy bowel movements.
Psyllium Husk Recipe
1. Takes 1 glass of water and mix 1 tablespoon of Psyllium Husk . Give this solution to the child before bed.
2.You can also add 1 teaspoon on Psyllium Husk in their cereals.
This remedy works great for 2 years older child.
#15. Fiber-Rich Foods
High fiber foods promote regular bowel movement and loosen up baby’s stool.
You can include the following in your diet.
1. Foods like whole wheat, beans, peas, broccoli, lentils, spinach and cabbage.
3. Flaxseeds can be added to smoothies and
4. Barley, Borken wheat porridge an be given daily .
5. Breastfeed mothers should have rich fiber food in their diet to promote good bowel movement of your baby.
#16. More fluid Intake
Dehydration can lead to constipation. For a regular bowel moment, the child must be hydrated. For hydration, breastfeeding is sufficient for babies below 6 months.
The toddlers must drink sufficient water throughout the day for regular bowel movements.
#17. Stomach Massage
You can gently massage baby’s tummy with warm mustard oil or coconut oil in a clockwise direction to provide relief from constipation. Massage should be done with fingertips in circular motion around the navel, mild pressure can be applied. Stomach Massage helps to reduce pain and reduce tummy firmness.
1. Recommended after 2 months of age.
Exercise is a great way to trigger the bowel movement.
Keep your baby on his back and gently move the baby’s legs as if the baby is cycling. Continue the cycling for few minutes. This exercise provides relief from gas and reduces intestine tightness.
2. Tummy Time
Tummy time is another best way to reduce stomach discomfort. You can follow the step once the baby is awake.
1. Allow the baby to lay on his tummy on the play mat.
2.Keep your hand under his thig, close to knees and put your other hand on his ankles.
3. Gentle life the baby’s thigh from the floor.
4. Wait for a moment in the particular position and repeat.
5. This exercise can be done 3-4 times a day.
1. Recommended after 3 months.
#19. Warm Bath
Warm Bath can offer great relaxing when the baby is constipated. Allow your, baby, to sit in a tub filled with lukewarm water for 20-30 minutes. The warm water will relax the anal muscles and promote bowel movement. You can also add 1 teaspoons of baking soda in the lukewarm water to give relief from pain and itching due to anal fissure.
1. After 1 month of birth
#20. Lubrication to Anus
Lubricating anus helps in reducing discomfort while passing stool, you can apply water-based organic and herbal lubricant to baby’s anus in a very small quantity. Lubrication will encourage the child to poop.
#21. Change The Formula
If your baby is formula fed, you can change the formula, sometimes the formula may not be suitable for the baby and can lead to constipation.
Things to do’s when baby is constipated
1.Consume guava with seeds, it is a great way to reduce constipation.
2.You can use Vaseline to lubricate baby’s anal.
3.Avoid using castor oil.
4.Make sure, your baby is always active. This will help in bowel movements.
5. make sure all the fruit juices are well diluted , else it can lead to diarrhea.
6.Breastfeeding mothers should reduce dairy intake.
7. Always make it a routine of go into the toilet as the first thing after waking up.
8.Flaxseed is rich in fiber and can be used as a supplement.
Things to avoid when baby is constipated
1. Avoid banana, white toast, rice and cereals in child’ diet.
2. Avoid cows milk as it is very difficult to digest.
3. Avoid dairy products like cheese, paneer, ice cream when the baby is constipated.
4. Avoid all processed foods.
5. Always consult the pediatrician before giving medicines.
6.Regular intake of ragi can cause constipation, avoid using in excess.
What home remedies for constipation have you used and found useful? Share in comments below.